Monday, May 11, 2009

The Recession, Mary, Joseph, and Voices From My Childhood

Here's a thought-provoking article by Rosie Bartel, Religious Education Director for the Diocese of Green Bay:

As families and others are struggling with recent situations due to the economy, worry and fear take over our thinking. It is tempting to turn inward and take a “me first” approach to life. This attitude makes me uncomfortable and as I reflect on these issues, I was drawn to thoughts of Mary and Joseph and the voices from my Catholic grade school days. Here is what keeps coming to me:

Look at the brighter side.” Mary and Joseph did not have a place to stay on the night Jesus was born but a bright star not only helped them find a place but it showed others the way.
Life was not easy for Mary and Joseph the day Jesus was born. The government decided to take a census and everyone need to go their hometown. I am sure Mary and Joseph had a better plan for the birth of Jesus yet they had not control over the time. They definitely did not put their own needs first.

This is true in these times of struggle. Many of us had great plans for our future but many lost their jobs, move their families or just had to find a different place to call home. Every one of these situations has a bright star if we have faith like Mary and Joseph had on the night of Jesus’ birth. That bright star might be finding more time for God and family. It might be reaching out to help someone who has a worst situation. This is a time to follow bright stars.

“Share.” Growing up, each of the children in my family received a really nice gift when we made our First Eucharist. The tradition was that my parents would try to give us something we really liked. I told my teacher, Sister Gordon, about the watch I knew I would get for First Eucharist and she asked, “That is wonderful, Rosemary, but what are you giving on that day?” Sister calling me “Rosemary” meant that I better think about what she was saying and I needed to do something.

It is easy to believe there are times that are just about us, that we are the most important person in the world. It is especially easy to believe this when times are tough and we are receiving a lot of attention. Those are the times that Sister Gordon believed we should be giving to most. For many of us grocery shopping is stressful right now, but we still need to remember to put something in the bin for the food pantry on our way out of the store. We need to be just as attentive to what we give to our parish as when times were good. We should count our blessings and share with others first. Then our life will not look so troubled.

“Play Fair” Sister Euphrata was the toughest teacher I ever had. She was the one who---when boys dangled worms in the face of the girls on the playground---instructed each boy to go and get a worm. When they returned, she said in front of the whole class, “now eat them.”
When every other story is about a bailout or a Ponzi scheme, we can get the message that it is OK to cut corners, to pad an expense report, to peek at a classmate’s test, or to abuse another person’s trust because of our own fear and insecurity. While none of the boys in my class ever had to eat worms, we did understand, firsthand, the “and how would you like it?” feeling. We learned an even bigger lesson that day: When we have, in our hands, the power to diminish someone else in order to prop ourselves up, it is the bigger person who resists that temptation. Today, when we feel cheated and scared, remember that the bigger person will always “play fair”.

“Do not be afraid to ask for help.” During one of our many Catholic school processions, I fell and hurt my knee. Sister Ann Marie, who had a first aid wagon, asked me if I wanted to ride in the wagon. I said, “No thanks.” Who wants to get into a baby wagon? She asked again. I said no again. Finally she would not take no for an answer. I climbed in and, embarrassed, rode back to school in the little red wagon.

When it comes to money matters, it can be humiliating to ask for help. Just as we have to remember that the world does not revolve around us, it is equally important to recognize the times when we need and ask for help. Many of our parishes have an unemployment ministry to help members network during these tough times. Sometimes for the good of your family, you have to swallow hard and ask for help from any corner that might offer it. You will be amazed at how generous people are and how willing they are to help. Remember, Mary and Joseph had to keep asking for a place to stay.So, in these economic times, keep your faith community close to you.


Share what you can and especially during these times to play fair. There is a bright star around the corner. It might just look differently from what you thought it should be, but it will help you find your way.

No comments: